HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT GOD EXISTS?
I. Why is This an Important Issue?
A. There is no more profound question that a human being can ask. The answer will affect every action and belief you have.
B. To have reasonable evidence for the existence of God will also enable you to powerfully share with those who don't believe. Thereby giving them a reason for the hope that is within you (1 Pet. 3:15).
II. What is the Evidence?
A. The physical creation
1. David tells us, "The heavens declare the glory of God", (Psalms 19:1-4). This message is uttered every day and every night to every creature. In Romans 1:18-22, Paul tells us that the creation clearly reveals the existence of God and the greatness of His power. It is such a powerful proof, that all men are "without excuse".
B. Our physical body
1. David realizes that his physical body is a masterpiece of creative ability far beyond his own. He says in Psalms 139:14, "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Thy works, and that my soul knows very well."
2. How does the body know to regulate all its own functions, and all at the same time? Yet man cannot successfully duplicate even one major organ that works as efficiently as the original.
1. Cause and effect
Logic demands that when we see the heavens and the biological wonder of the human body, we naturally ask the question of, "who has created this?" When we look at a work of art, we know there must be an artist. When we see a great building, we know there must be a wise master builder. When we see craftsmanship, we know there is a craftsman. So, the creation demands a creator!
2. Order and design
The observable and design of all that we see speaks of an intelligent creator. The only alternative we have is that all things have come about by chance from disorder. Yet simple logic tells us order and design must come from intelligence. Order doesn't come from disorder. We know that a stick of dynamite exploded in a lumberyard couldn't build a city.
D. Prophetic proof
1. Prophecy is a powerful proof there is an intelligent and communicative God outside of our time domain. Only God knows the future, because He is God (Isaiah 46:9-10) (James 4:14).
2. God challenged the idols of the nation Israel to a test. He said show us the things to come and we will see if you are a god (Isaiah 41:21-23). Yet the true and living God has given hundreds of specific prophecies concerning the nation Israel, the coming Messiah, and the end of the world. A person must only compare these predictions with history to see the proof that God has spoken.
E. Visible proof
1. God has not left us to wonder what He is really like, because He has revealed Himself also in the person of Jesus Christ. God came in human flesh to give the best proof of all (John 1:1,14).
a. He was an historic person spoken of by Jewish historian Josephus (A.D. 37), and Roman historian Tacitus (A.D. 52).
b. He revealed His deity by the claims that He made, the miracles He did, and His resurrection over death.
F. Personal proof
1. You can have the personal proof that God exists by obeying His Word. If you believe and obey Him, He will change your life. Jesus said, "if you will do My will, you will know if I speak of myself, or this is in fact, the Word of God" (John 7:17).
2. In a personal way you will experience the power of the Holy Spirit. This is proof that you abide in Him, and He abides in you (1 John 3:24).
III. Why Do People Reject the Evidence?
A. Intellectual pride
The desire to be independent from God causes an intellectual arrogance within man, because he must attempt to explain his life, his decisions, and his very existence by himself. Paul explains this by saying, "they knew God, but did not glorify Him as God". This resulted in futile thoughts and the profession of wisdom, which was in reality foolishness (Rom. 1:21-22).
B. Moral disobedience
Also many will not believe the evidence because they simply don't want to believe it. To believe that God exists, means that a person must deal with what God has said about their immoral lifestyle. People know in their conscience that they would have to change many things that are contrary to His Word. So, the choice is made to reject the evidence in favor of their own lifestyle. So, your faith in the evidence I have stated above will basically come down to your willingness to choose to obey God. See: (1 Kings 18:21) (Luke 18:18-23).
IV. Must I See God to Believe He Exists?
A. Jesus didn't think this was necessary to see Him. He believed these evidences given in the article were enough evidence to cause us to believe. He said to Thomas, "because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29). May you choose to put your faith in Him right now!